In our daily lives, various kinds of optical illusions, such as physical, physiological, and cognitive illusions, manipulate our minds, which leads to our eyes and brains believing things that don’t exist in real life.
These optical illusions are also part of visual tests in which you will see an object or a picture from a different perspective. A brilliant example of such a kind of visual test is the one that creates an illusion of an expanding black hole.
The image is frazzling the eyes and boggling the minds of the viewers. Changing the colors and patterns in an image can alter our perception of it.
The colors and patterns in an image can create visual illusions that trick our minds into seeing things differently. So, let’s see this spooky optical illusion of two girls where a third face is hidden inside the picture.
Black Hole Optical Illusion Challenge: Your Pupils Will Get Dilated By Looking at this Picture!
This black hole optical illusion image has a great visual effect on the minds of the viewers. It creates an illusion in which the black hole seems to be moving and growing if looked at for a long time.
But in reality, the black hole image is completely static and not moving at all.
The creators of this illusion, “Bruno Laeng, Shoaib Nabil, Akiyoshi Kitaoka/Frontiers in Human Neuroscience,” challenged the viewers to answer a simple question after staring at the black hole: “Does the hole appear to be expanding?” So, let’s see how this illusion works in detail!
Why does the black hole appear to be expanding in this optical illusion?
Frontiers in Human Neuroscience published a journal after conducting this visual test on humans. They did a test on 50 men and women with normal vision, and here is what they found out. The black hole appears to be moving because the pupils in our eyes adjust to the light in our surroundings. Normally, our pupils get dilated in the dark to capture more light and contract in bright light to prevent overexposure. So, the black hole in this illusion may seem to change size, but it’s actually our pupils reacting to the dark image.
After using an infrared eye tracker on the people to measure pupil dilation in response to an illusion, the psychologists found that the greater a participant’s response to the illusion, the stronger the pupil dilation response.
Professor Bruno Laeng stated in an interview, “There is no reason per se that the pupil should change in this situation because nothing is changing in the world. But something clearly has changed inside the mind”.
Another revelation made by Dr. Laeng was that this kind of optical illusion can show how our brains are trying to anticipate the future in order to perceive the present. This is because our brain analyzes what it’s seeing and building up, constructing a possible scenario and adapting to it, as explained by the professor. The study concluded that 86% of the people saw the expanding black hole.
So, now the question arises: why did the other 14% not see the movement of black hole expansion?
Dr. Laeng answered this too! He said that few people are able to see the image in two dimensions.
The study also tested the effectiveness of the black hole illusion with different colored backgrounds and found that it was even more effective with a colored background than with a white background.
The study found that the black hole illusion is most effective with a magenta background.
Another interpretation of this illusion shared by the viewers is that the gradient effect towards the center of the illusion makes it seem as if you are entering a dark tunnel or a dark room. So, tell us are you among the 86% who saw the expanding black hole or among the other 14% who could not anticipate the future?