Nick Clegg, Meta President (Global Affairs) has released comprehensive guidelines on ‘How Meta will cover Election 2024’ through his various social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Threads, and WhatsApp. The Meta guidelines on Election 2024 coverage were released on November 28, 2023 stating the various facts and policies that must be followed by advertisers across the globe while social promotional campaigns.
Nick Clegg says that a comprehensive approach to major elections coverage remains broadly consistent over many years. While this time Meta will block new political ads during the final week of the US election campaign. Also, strict guidelines will be monitored for advertisers globally to disclose when they use AI or digital methods to create or alter a political or social issue ad in certain cases.
Meta Election Coverage 2024 guidelines: 2 Billion People to Participate
According to the Meta Election Coverage 2024 guidelines, in election 2024 more than two billion people will head to the polls in elections across some of the world’s biggest democracies, including the United States, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the European Union. Over many years, Meta has developed a comprehensive approach to election coverage on their platforms. With so many important elections approaching, Meta is setting out the policies and safeguards to establish over time in 2024.
Meta Election Coverage 2024 guidelines: $20 billion invested in teams and technology
The election coverage details also highlight that no tech company does more or invests more to protect elections online than Meta—not just during election periods but at all times. Meta has around 40,000 people working on safety and security, with more than $20 billion invested in teams and technology in this area since 2016. The election coverage on the Meta social media platform is continually adapting and evolving to ensure to tackling of new challenges, especially the use of AI.
To protect any false election propaganda Meta has also built the largest independent fact-checking network of any platform, with nearly 100 partners around the world to review and rate viral misinformation in more than 60 languages. This robust network, laced with high-end new-age technology like Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), blockchain, cloud computing, data science, robotics and more, will act as parameters to curtail any misinformation and manipulation. Read here the report on remove, reduce, inform to manage content across Meta technologies.
What are the New Meta Ellection 2024 Additional Coverage Policies: Facebook, Instagram, Threads, and WhatsApp
When advertisers use different products across the Meta family of apps and services, additional policies may also apply. Therefore Meta advised that advertisers must abide by new Election 2024 coverage guidelines on social platforms. These guidelines must followed when any digital election campaign is done in the United States, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the European Union
- Facebook: Ads that run on Facebook must follow Facebook’s Community Standards, which apply to all content on Facebook.
- Instagram: Ads that run on Instagram must follow Instagram’s Community Guidelines, which apply to all content on Instagram.
- Commerce: Advertisers may run certain types of ads, such as ads with product tags or boosted Marketplace listings, or use catalogues to upload products for use on commerce surfaces, which are subject to our Commerce Policies.
- Pages and events: Advertisers may promote Pages or events, which are subject to the applicable Pages, Groups and Events policies.
- Messenger: Advertisers sending sponsored messages via Messenger or starting automated conversations from ads that click to Messenger must comply with our Developer Policies.
- Branded content: Ads may include branded content; these are subject to our Branded Content Policies.